kadai paneer gravy recipe - slightly spicy and tangy recipe of cottage cheese cooked with tomatoes and freshly ground coriander and dry red chilies in a kadai.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 to 300 gms paneer/cottage cheese/0.55 to 0.66 lb of cottage cheese
- 1 small to medium capsicum/green bell pepper/0.22 lb bell pepper, julienned
- 1.5 inch ginger, chopped + 7-8 medium sized garlic, chopped, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste.
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, 100 gms/0.22 lb onions, finely chopped
- 7 medium to large tomatoes, 500 to 550 gms tomatoes/1.21 lb (2 tomatoes, finely chopped and 5 tomatoes, pureed in a blender)
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp cream (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee or butter
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt as required
for the kadai masala:
- 5 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 to 5 dry kashmiri red chilies, if using any other variety of dry red chilies, then reduce to 2 to 4 depending on the heat and pungency of the chilies.
- first roast the coriander and dry kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
- when the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi fine powder. keep aside.
- finely chop the onions. julienne (cut into very thin strips) the capscium/green bell pepper.
- finely chop 2 tomatoes. roughly chop 5 tomatoes and add them to the blender. make a puree of the tomatoes. keep the tomato puree aside.
- crush the ginger-garlic to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle.
- in a pan heat oil or ghee or butter. then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till their raw aroma disappears.
- then add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
- add the ground coriander and kashmiri red chilli powder that we made. also add green chilies.
- stir well and saute for few seconds. add the tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins. then add tomato puree.
- stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides. about 9 to 10 mins on a low flame.
- add the capsicum/green bell pepper julienne. stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- add water and salt and continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes.
- later add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder and stir.
- add the paneer cubes or slices. stir gently. cook the paneer for about 2 to 3 mins.
- you can also 2 tbsp of cream toward the end. just stir the cream gently in the gravy.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve kadai paneer gravy with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice.